Zoning & Building Safety:

Zoning and Building Safety Department

Building Contractor Information

Compliance Bond:

Each contractor shall file with the Office of Zoning & Building Safety a compliance bond, with the form thereof to be furnished by the building inspector, in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00), conditioned upon the faithful performance of all the provisions of this code. This bond is a continuous bond and shall remain in full force and effect until canceled by notice. The surety shall have the right to cancel this bond for future liability upon thirty (30) days' written notice to the Rock Island County Zoning & Building Safety.

Construction Sites:

Many types of urban activities can directly impact the health of surface water. Local developers, contractors, subcontractors and their crews can adversely impact water quality by not properly planning ahead to keep dirt, debris, and other waste materials away from storm drains and local creeks before, during and after construction activities. Federal, State, and Local law implemented by Rock Island County, mandates that those who undertake construction activities provide pollution protection at their construction sites. Please review and understand the Rock Island County Stormwater Ordinance or hire a professional to assist you. More information is available on the Stormwater Management page.

Contractor Registration:

In order to perform work in unincorporated Rock Island County, Contractors are required to register with the Rock Island County Zoning and Building Office. Renewal date for registration will be March 1 of each year.

All contractors may download the Contractor Registration Packet PDF Document. This will enable Rock Island County to maintain your contact information as well as fulfilling a registration requirement. Proof of liability insurance, a compliance bond, registration fee and applicable State licensing are also required.


Rock Island County uses a Fee Schedule PDF Document based on the contractors bid. Plumbing and Gas inspection fees are $12.00 per opening. Official fees are to be determined by the staff of the Rock Island County Zoning and Building Safety Department. Specialty items such as demolitions, manufactured home placement, moving of buildings, signs, and  wind & communication towers have special fees. Official fees are to be determined by the staff of the Rock Island County Zoning and Building Safety Department. Fees vary with the value of the work being done using contractors bid or national averages, including labor. Persons not obtaining a permit PRIOR to beginning a project shall be charged double. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Back to top


Persons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary Inspections may very greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate inspector.

  • We have created a Required Inspection and Sequence handout PDF Document that contains a list of some basic inspections and a timeframe.
  • Remember if you cover items needing inspection, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED to expose these items through any means necessary, at your expense.

  • Inspectors are in the office from 7:00 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM.
  • No inspections will be scheduled after 9:30 AM for that day.
  • The two building inspectors split the county:
    • Matt Alberts South of the Rock River and Edgewater addition
    • Bill Latting North of the Rock River and Plumbing Inspections

Insurance Requirements:

To perform construction work in Rock Island County, according to Section 25 of the 815 ILCS 513/ Home Repair and Remodeling Act (Public Act 91-0230) PDF Document any person involved in home repair or remodeling (which also applies to room additions, HVAC, pools, garages, etc…) is required to carry “public Liability and Property damage insurance in the amount of $100,000 and $300,000 per occurrence for improper home repair and remodeling not in conformance with applicable State, County or Municipal building codes.”

Rock Island County must be named as the certificate holder, so that we are notified if you should cancel your insurance. This will eliminate the need to supply our office with new insurance forms each year.

Occupancy Permits:

No building or structure shall be used or occupied, and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall be made until the building official has issued a CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY as provided in the applicable code. All work must be completed to qualify for an Occupancy Permit, including 70% groundcover established on all areas disturbed during construction. Anyone violating this portion of the building code is subject to a fine of up to $1000 per day.


All permits will be created through our permit program. They must be signed by the owner or owner's agent. Additional information is available on the Building Permits page of our site. The only time permits will be accepted through the mail is in an emergency or extreme situation. Once the project is completed, the permit must be closed out. Make sure to schedule proper inspections and receive a final inspection.

Plumbing Contractors:

To perform plumbing work in Rock Island County and the State of Illinois, according to 225 ILCS 320/ Illinois Plumbing License Law (Public Act 92-338) ExternalLink.gif plumbers are required to carry a Plumbing License and be a Registered Contractor with the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) ExternalLink.gif. You must complete a Contractor Registration Form PDF Document and we MUST have a copy of your Plumbing Contractor Registration Certificate (055-XXXXXX) and the Plumbers License (058-XXXXXX) for the person named on the Plumbing Contractor Registration application that is on file with the IDPH. These Licenses/Registrations expire in September and April of every year, so you will need to supply our office with new copies upon expiration. ALL plumbers and their apprentices on a job site must have their license with them at all times.

Roofing Contractors:

To perform roofing work in Rock Island County and the State of Illinois, according to 225 ILCS 335/ Illinois Roofing Industry Licensing Act (Public Act 90-55) ExternalLink.gif roofing contractors are required to be Bonded with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Professional Regulation ExternalLink.gif and must be a Registered Contractor. We MUST have a copy of your Roofing Contractor Registration Certificate (104-XXXXXX) and/or (105-XXXXXX) on file. These Licenses/Registrations expire in June of every year, so you will need to supply our office with new copies upon expiration. ALL roofers and their apprentices on a job site must have their license with them at all times.Anyone who is compensated for roofing must have a license or be an hourly employee of that company.

Back to top

Rock Island County Office Building (map ExternalLink.gif)
1504 Third Avenue, Room 305, Rock Island IL 61204-8624
Phone: (309) 558-3771      Fax: (309) 786-4456

      Hours: 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM - Monday thru Friday
Inspectors are in the field from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM